Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Mother's Day Project

Here's a pointless story....

I have two brothers who are 11 and 15 years older than me. When my oldest brother was in second grade, his teacher, Mrs. Jackson, made black and white silhouettes of the students for Mother's Day gifts. When my other brother was in second grade he had the same teacher and she did the same thing for him. My mom had the two silhouettes framed and hung in my parent's bedroom. When I came along 11 years later, Mrs. Jackson was long since retired and was not about to come back and make another silhouette for little ol' me to give to my mommy on Mother's Day.

I have been jealous of those darn silhouettes for 20+ years.

Maybe that's why I decided to make silhouettes of my kids for their Mother's Day gifts.

First I took profile pictures of my kids. I then printed them on cardstock and cut out the profile to make a pattern piece for tracing on the black paper.



Then I let the kids pick out a colorful background paper from a huge stack of scrapbooking paper someone left in the "FREE" pile in the teacher's lounge. That was the most interesting and time consuming part actually. I was totally expecting the girls to pick girly stuff and the boys to pick boyish stuff, but each kid actually thought really hard about their mother and what she would like the most. One child picked a background she thought would match her mother's favorite earrings.

Tomorrow we will put them in frames I got at the Dollar Tree and write a message on the back of the frame. I made sure to make them a standard size (8x10) so parents could upgrade to a nicer frame if they wanted. Here are a few of my favorites that I just had to scan in and post:






7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I just wanted to thank you for this idea and for inspiring my end of the year gifts. I just posted about it and linked to you. :)

      Delete
  2. You ROCK! :)

    ✿.。.☆♪♫*❤*Melly*❤*☆.。.✿

    staplersstrategies@gmail.com

    Stapler’s Strategies for Sizzlin' Second Graders!

    The Yellow Rocking Chair

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those turned out so good!
    What a nice gift. :)
    ~Andi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a pointless story- sounds like a great "small moment" for workshop, eh? And I was jealous of your silhouettes when I saw them today. They are AWESOME SAUCE. I will have to be more on the ball for mother's day next year (a.k.a Super Teacher year)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! My brother also had a silhouette that hung in my parent's room and I never had one. Thanks for sharing!

    Found you on Forever in First
    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this so much. Thank you for explaining it so clearly and I (for one) didn't think your story was pointless!

    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete