Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Snack Time Linky Party


I am joining up with Mrs. Bainbridge's Class to tell you about snack time in my classroom. Check out her blog to see all the other snack time stories!

Basically snack has been the bane of my existence for years. I hate the mess and germs and allergy scares and sad faces without snack. I also had the issue of time management. I always felt like I was wasting time while kids snacked away.

Last year I decided to incorporate snack time with my Daily 5 rotations. As a class, we decided that "Read to Self" was a good time for snack, so when students are at that rotation, they know they may go get their snack and chow down while reading. This saves me from stopping to make an announcement and also keeps all 24 students from rushing over to their backpacks all at once.  Students know it is their responsibility to get their snacks during their Read to Self time and to clean up after themselves. Because they are already working  independently for Read to Self, socializing usually isn't an issue. Also, because the snack is staggered, students who didn't bring a snack are not "left out" of the snacking. There are plenty of students not eating snack just like them. :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for joining my linky party!

    What a GREAT idea! Thank you so much for sharing it!

    :)
    Christina
    Mrs. Bainbridge's Blog

    ReplyDelete